Food and Supplements
According to the reference standards for special foods, the production and packaging of these products must be carried out in factories authorized by the Ministry of Health.
Furthermore, special foods are subject to the so-called "notification label", that is, their labels must be notified to the Ministry of Health before they are marketed or imported in Italy.
The food products covered by the obligation of notification are the following:
- Dietary supplements;
- Infant formulas;
- Dietary products: diet foods for special medical purposes, gluten-free products, dietary salts, products for athletes, products for diabetics, other diet foods;
- Foods enriched with vitamins, minerals and other substances;
- Foods containing functional substances for monitoring purposes.
Merc can help you obtain production and marketing permissions for special foods by providing the following services:
- Application for Certificates of Free Sale, necessary for product export;
- Notification of changes to notified products;
- Conformity assessment of product labels, especially as regards nutrition and health indications (Claim Regulation);
- Application for the approval of "novel foods".